Hong Kong
Where East meets West
Hong Kong Travel, quick facts about Hong Kong

Quick facts

Halve your dining bill and maximize savings during your stay in Hong Kong, with the Hong Kong Card and pocket-sized guide book

Official Name : Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (H.K.S.A.R)

 

Common Name : Hong Kong

 

Area : 1,104 square kilomtres

 

Location: Southeast coast of China, on the East side of the Pearl River estuary, facing south towards the South China Sea.

 

Population : Approximately seven million

 

Demographics : About 95% of Hong Kong's population is of Chinese descent, the majority of whom are Cantonese or from ethnic groups such as Hakka and Teochew.  The remaining 5% divides between other ethnich groups, such as Europeans, Indonesians, Philippinos, Indians, Nepalese and other Sotheast Asian groups.

 

Religious : As in Mainland China, The majority of Hong Kong's population (85-90%) practice a folk version of Buddhism or Taoism.  7% of the population are Christians (equaly divided between Catholics and Protestants). The remaining are Jews, Muslims, Hindis, Sikhs and Bahais.

 

Capital City : Hong Kong is a special administrative region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China and, therefore, its official capital city is Beijing.

 

Large Cities : Hong Kong is one massive metropolis that swallowed various villages as it developed.  The territory is subdivided to 18 districts. The largest urban areas are Tsuen Wan New Town, Sha-Tin and Kowloon town.

 

Languages : The official languages of Hong Kong are Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin) and English.  Practically, most of the people speak Cantonese (being descendants of migrants from Guangdong) and in the last few years, with the increase of immigration from other parts of China, Mandarin is also widely spoken.  About one third of the population speaks English, to a certain level, especially employees of the white collar sector, such as High-tech, banking, tourism and finance.

 

Government : Hong Kong is a special administrative region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China.  In accordance with the Sino-British Joint Declaration (signed in 1984) and the Hong Kong basic law (adopted in 1990), Hong Kong enjoys vast autonomy and manages most of its interior affairs.

 

Head of State (Sovereign) : The president of the People's Republic of China, Mr. Hu Jintao.

 

Governor (Chief Executive) : The Chief Executive, Mr. Donald Tsang, is the head of the government of the Hong Kong SAR.